Monday, September 1, 2008

Estelí and Reserva Naturál Miraflor


Post a week of León we took a 4 hour bus ride northeast to Estelí. Higher ground, cooler temperatures, it was a nice change. This region is home to tons of coffee production, and was one of the strongest bastions of the Sandinista Revolution.

Our first night in town we took a half hour cab ride up to the top of a gorgeous 70 foot waterfall. I wanted to jump it really bad, but had no idea the depth of the pool below. Some other time?Post sunset swimming was perfect.



Next day we took a bus to the Miraflor Nature Reserve, where we hiked around all day and stayed the night with, and were fed three amazing meals by, a lovely family.
















El Mirador - A beautiful lookout point we hiked up to towards the end of the day. We could see the mountains stretching into Honduras and El Salvador.

(What this picture reminds me of)

Traveling with a nice camera is strange. "Capturing" the moment definetly alters it. I really enjoy having my camera (thanks Mom, I love you), but sometimes I feel like I abuse it. Sometimes, without having to worry about getting the "perfect shot" you can just look around and absorb, which is much more perfect.

No comments: