Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chacocente - Thank you synchronicity




 "It is possible that the next Buddha will not take the form of an individual. The next Buddha may take the form of a community - a community practicing understanding and loving kindness, a community practicing mindful living. This may be the most important thing we can do for the earth."
- Thich Nhat Hanh


In late May I ended my two-week Burlingtonfest on a southbound train, headed towards Westchester, NY. The idea was to meet up with my buddy Daiki Hirano, and fly to Japan.

So there I was, sitting on said train, reading Thich Nhat Hanh´s Being Peace (he´s my new hero, by the way) when my transitory train buddy, some lady who I had been too tired and anti-social to yet engage in any interaction, noticed the title and asked me about it. Not some insincere conversation starter either, she genuinely seemed excited. So, I admitted that I had randomly found the book on a sidewalk in Burlington, and for some reason decided it should be one of the precious few that would accompany me on other side of the world. That, upon reading the preface and discovering Naht Hanh´s amazing life story, I already knew I had made a good choice (though thinking about what this book has brought me by now, I don´t know how much of a personal choice it was rather than some sort of beautiful gravity).

Anyhow, she thought it was just great that I was reading and interested in such things. We got to talking and I explained how I was soon to be 10,000 miles westward. "Oh cool!" She replied. "You know, I live down in Nicaragua most of the time." I couldn´t help but smile, "That´s where I´m going in July after I get back!"

She gave me her card.

Turned out she ran an NGO in the Masaya region, basically midway between Managua and Granada. Hm...how precipitous.

Aside: I am a poor planner. So Cheryll was God´s gift to my Nicaraguan experience, to say the least. A lovely five minute conversation...then a month of Japanimation. On getting home her volunteer organizer Omar and I arranged for us a place to stay for 3 weeks so we could help out at the Project.

The more I looked into it before we arrived, the more excited I became. It´s really an amazing thing happening with Cheryll´s project.


Five years ago, with a Nicaraguan friend, she managed to assist 10 families in moving out of the slum within and around the 100 acre dump in Managua called La Chureca, a place no one should have to call home (see pictures a ways down). 190 families are still living in and around the dump, sorting through trash for copper, metal, cans, whatever can be sold. Trash is constantly buring so it´s hard to breathe even being there for a few minutes...


Cheryl and her partner interviewed various families to figure out who would be most willing and able to establish a new community outside the dump. The initial agreement was, you agree to help establish the community, and take vocational classes and learn to read and write, and after five years the deed to the house and part of the land is yours. She purchased a beautiful 40 acre plot about 45 minutes away, on which they built their own homes and an elementary school, as well as clearing land to raise crops, which are now abundant. It has become it´s own true community, and we were blessed to volunteer our time there and to witness the fruits of such a positive transformation in so many people´s lives.

(Two of the families did not stay longer than a few months, which is hard for most foreigners to understand. Basically, as unhealthy as the dump is, it is comfortable in a sense and it is where some sort of community is. Plus, the first months at Chacocente for the families was very hard work, clearing land for cultivation, building homes...much harder, albeit safer, physical labor than picking through trash.)
Cheryll is the white lady with short grey hair in the middle, surrounded by the Chacocente parents. She arrived at the project the same day we did.

On our first day we walked around the property, saw the homes, the school, the well, the extensive crops. Plantanes, passion fruit, beans, corn, melons, bananas, papayas, fruits beyond my translatory efforts...

 Omar (the volunteer coordinator) and the Chacocente parents


El Pozo (the well)


 Hammocks made by the mothers.

 Basilia at work

The kids were the best part, obviously. Much of what we did was spend time in the classrooms helping out with the basics. Most of the 3 weeks I spent with the 3rd graders, urging them to actually start writing a paragraph describing "what is a family?" or add numbers under 100. Playing outside of class was more fun.



Adriana, with a two day old puppy.
Almost too much cute for one picture.

Me and Dayvin, lookin´ hard


 José Luis´s Phys Ed class


...


LA CHURECA
(Managua´s dump)
   All the Chacocente families used to live in and around this.

Basillia, shown earlier making a hammock, lost three children here. Omar told us the story while we stood in the middle of the dump and couldn't see or think of much else. Two of her children had eaten chocolate they found in the trash and died of food poisoning. Then another daughter of hers took a nap under some cardboard, was covered by trash, and crushed by a tractor.

Notice the hypodermic needle...
I saw kids there running around with no shoes.


 The air was so full of the smoke of burning trash I had a hard time breathing. Mel too, but it had nothing to do with her lungs. As we left we came upon this mural. It really, really helped. I sat in front of it for about 20 minutes. I wish I could hug whoever created such beauty in the face of such staggering ugliness.

The tree is smiling, but if you cover the smile it has the most tragically sad eyes. I don´t think the mural would be nearly as moving or true otherwise. The "Rooted In Love" helped me invite my family to be with me in that moment (Root is my mother´s maiden name).

After that experience, we really understood what it meant for those kids growing up in Chacocente, far away from such a poisonous pile of land.

...

The Missouri Experience

The day after Mel and I were first shown around at Chacocente, a rather large and robust volunteer delegation of 25 Missourians descended on our tranquil existence. They were all members, or at least somehow connected to, a non-denominational church called The Bridge. Really, the only reason we were at Chacocente so early on was because Sarah Weintraub (the best person ever, in case you hadn´t heard, and thankfully my good friend) had idiot-Honduras-visa issues, and had to skip Central America to avoid jail or something silly. But after our week and a half spent with these fantastic human beings, we were able to smile and repeat such lovely clichés as "Everything happens for a reason" and "Well, Sarah, at least something great came out of your being screwed over by customs officials."

 

These folks did so many things during their stay. First of all, they constanstly gifted Chacocente with positivity and a willingness to help in any way possible. Something specifically great they made happen was the painting of the school. A drastically drastic improvement.

 
 
 
 
...

Mel and Amanda

Mel, Me, Ezekial, Gabriel, Omar

...

Wannabe English teacher


Little garden me and some boys (Dolbin, Edwin, Eliam) set up.

I learned an important lesson from this, because this stupid little garden actually caused a mini-feud between Eliam and two of the girls, Grethel and Andrea. Since him and I basically built it together, he tried to exlude the girls from planting anything (becuase it was "his"). Lesson: kids can be selfish brats, so make everything about a project (esp. it´s communal nature) clear before starting, as well as constantly throughout, and involve everyone as much as possible.
 
 

Brian and Dayvin
Steve Arnshaw (a wonderful minister from Colorado) and the MO men, making concrete for a staircase to be built behind a building that will hopefully soon house a pulperia (convenience/juice store thing), and perhaps a hair salon. The point being, any step they can take toward self-sufficiency is essential.

 
Steve wants you to read this book. Me too.
 
 Almost finished product.


Stephen Price and Pastor Tim Gray. Triumphant.


Latrine digging.

Mel and Basilia

 Me and Pedro (Basilia´s husband)

Nelson and his fighting cocks

...

Mel and a monkey named Loco, at a church/lavish dormitory (acronym EFEMEL) where the Bridge delegation stayed.
Mel, Chris Holmes, Monkey in the middle. Drinking Coke.


Thank you Bridge Delegation.
(There's another entry on their Medical Clinics we helped out with.)

Thank you Cheryll. Anyone who's actually
gotten this far should help her out if you can,
Chacocente has so much but needs so much more.

No comments: